New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins prediction and betting tips (May 3)
The New York Rangers have won the last three head-to-head fixtures against the Penguins. Will they win the first game in the play-off?
Mika Zibanejad (Rangers) has scored 29 goals and has made 52 assists in 81 fixtures
Mika Zibanejad (Rangers) has scored 29 goals and has made 52 assists in 81 fixtures

The New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins fixture in the 2021-22 NHL will take place on Tuesday, 3 May 2022, starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 11:00 p.m. by GMT this day. The venue is Madison Square Garden, New York. The New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins (3 May 2022) prediction and betting tips can be found below.

New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins latest odds on betting sites

The New York Rangers are priced with the odds of 2.30 (+130 American; 13/10 Fractional) to win the next match in full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 44%. The Pittsburgh Penguins come with the odds of 2.75 (+175; 7/4) to take two points before the overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 36%. The draw is priced with the odds of 4.50 (+350; 7/2), which equals an approximate probability of 20%.

The latest odds for Rangers vs Penguins (3 May 2022) betting markets:

  • Over 5.5 goals — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
  • Under 5.5 goals — 1.95 (-105; 19/20)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Penguins — 1.45 (-222; 9/20)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Rangers — 3.00 (+200; 2/1)

New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins match preview and statistics

The New York Rangers finished the regular season with 110 points in 82 fixtures. They had 52 victories and 30 losses with six overtimes.

In the most recent game, the Rangers defeated the Washington Capitals (3-2). The New York Rangers made 10 shots on target and won 13 face-offs. The Capitals made 12 shots on target, but both teams did not score their goals.

The Rangers played well in the second period too. They made 13 shots on target and bagged two goals. They won 58% out of 24 face-offs. The Washington Capitals finished two out of 12 shots on targets too. In the 24th minute, Filip Chytil opened the score. Justin Schultz and John Carlson scored two goals for the Capitals, but Alexis Lafreniere leveled the score in the 36th minute.

In the last period, Gerard Gallant’s men made 10 shots on target and scored one goal. The Capitals did not finish their 12 shots successfully. Also, the Rangers completed 19 defensive actions and won 12 face-offs. In the 47th minute, Dryden Hunt bagged the last goal.

The Penguins have lost the first match in play-offs in the last three seasons. The New York Rangers are priced with the odds of 1.80 (-125; 4/5) to win this game, including overtime.

New York Rangers team news: Samuel Blais — knee injury, Andrew Copp — upper body injury, Tyler Motte — lower body injury, Artemi Panarin — lower body injury.

The Pittsburgh Penguins are sixth in the Eastern Conference with 107 points in 82 games.

The Pittsburgh Penguins pulled down the Columbus Blue Jackets (5-3) in the last fixture. In the first period, both teams played approximately equal. They attacked well in the first period. The Penguins made 16 shots on target and scored three goals. Evgeni Malkin, Evan Rodrigues and Marcus Pettersson scored their goals in this period.

In the second period, they played much better than their rivals. The Pittsburgh Penguins made 17 shots and won 80% out of 20 face-offs. The Blue Jackets finished one out of nine shots on target successfully. Justin Danforth scored the first goal for his team in the 31st minute. Kris Letang and Brian Boyle scored two more goals for the Penguins.

In the last period, the Pittsburgh Penguins made 17 shots on target, completed 23 defensive actions and won 11 face-offs, but they did not score a goal. The Blue Jackets finished two out of 14 shots successfully. Oliver Bjorkstrand and Gustav Nyquist scored these goals.

A total of over 5.5 goals has played out in three of the last four matches with the Penguins participating. The same total comes with the odds of 2.00 (+100; 1/1) in this match.

Pittsburgh Penguins team news: Nathan Beaulieu — upper body injury, Tristan Jarry — upper body injury.

New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins H2H

The Rangers won over the Pittsburgh Penguins (3-0) in the last H2H fixture. They made 24 shots on target and won 52% of 48 face-offs. The New York Rangers completed 54 defensive actions in this game.

Mike Sullivan’s boys made 30 shots on target, but they did not finish them successfully. They completed 45 defensive actions and won 23 remaining face-offs.

New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins lineups and key players

New York Rangers projected starting lineup:

  • Alexandar Georgiev
  • Adam Fox
  • Jacob Trouba
  • Ryan Reaves
  • Mika Zibanejad
  • Chris Kreider

Mika Zibanejad is the second best attacker in his team. He has scored 29 goals and has made 52 assists in 81 fixtures.

Pittsburgh Penguins projected starting lineup:

  • Louis Domingue
  • Brian Dumoulin
  • Kris Letang
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Jake Guentzel

Jake Guentzel is the best scorer in his team. He has scored 40 goals in the 2021-22 season.

New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins predictions and betting tips

Overall, the New York Rangers look stronger than the Pittsburgh Penguins. They have won the last three head-to-head matches against Mike Sullivan’s boys. Also, the New York Rangers have won five of the last eight fixtures. However, Artemi Panarin, who is the best attacker in the Rangers, is injured now and will not participate in this match, which will make Gerard Gallant’s men weaker and the Penguins can draw in 60 minutes.

In spite of this, I believe that the Rangers will be able to win the first round, including overtime. Also, they have scored three or more goals in seven of the last eight fixtures and in the last three H2H matches.

Betting prediction: New York Rangers to win (incl. OT)

Odds: 1.80 (-125 American; 4/5 Fractions)

Betting prediction: Over 2.5 goals by Rangers

Odds: 1.75 (-133 American; 3/4 Fractions)

New York Rangers — Pittsburgh Penguins
Not settled
Over 2.5 goals by Rangers
1.75
TOP PREDICTIONS
TOP PREDICTIONS
0 comments
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!