The Carolina Hurricanes vs New Jersey Devils fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, starting at 9:00 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 12:00 a.m. by GMT the next day. The venue is RNC-Arena, Carolina.
Latest odds on betting sites
The Carolina Hurricanes are priced with the odds of 2.20 (+120 American; 6/5 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 42%. The New Jersey Devils have an odds of 2.80 (+180; 9/5) to take two points before overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 37%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.75 (+375; 15/4), which equals an approximate probability of 21%.
The latest odds for Carolina Hurricanes vs New Jersey Devils (January 10, 2023):
- Over 6.5 goals — 2.25 (+125; 5/4)
- Under 6.5 goals — 1.70 (-143; 7/10)
- Asian handicap (-1.5) on Hurricanes — 2.60 (+160; 8/5)
- Asian handicap (+1.5) on Devils — 1.40 (-250; 2/5)
Match preview and statistics
The Carolina Hurricanes are the best team in the Metropolitan Division and the second-best team in the league, being overtaken by the Boston Bruins only. They are the sixth least-conceding team with approximately 2.65 conceded goals per match and are a single team with five shutouts in the 2022-23 NHL.
These results were provided by incredible work in defense, the Carolina Hurricanes’ strongest side. In the 2021-22 season, they conceded the least number of goals and were the third-best team of the regular season. Also, Pyotr Kochetkov is the second-best goalie of the 2022-23 season with 2.2 conceded goals per game on average.
The Carolina Hurricanes had a streak of 11 victories in a row with four shutouts, but it was broken by three losses against the Rangers, the Predators, and the Blue Jackets. All teams have not shown their best this season and were underdogs in the matches against the Hurricanes, but somehow they finished them in their favor.
A total of over 6.5 goals has played out in three of the last four matches with the Carolina Hurricanes. The exact total comes with the odds of 2.25 (+125; 5/4) this time.
The New Jersey Devils are second in the Metropolitan Division with a four-point gap against the Hurricanes. Both teams have 25 victories in 40 matches, but the Devils have lost most of the matches in regular time, whereas the Hurricanes have seven OT losses.
In spite of the standings, the New Jersey Devils are stronger according to the stats. They are the fourth least conceding team with 2.63 goals against and the eighth most-scoring team with 136 goals in 40 matches, whereas the Hurricanes have scored 12 goals fewer. Also, Vitek Vanecek, who is the sixth-best goalie according to conceded goals per game, overtakes Pyotr Kochetkov by a saving percentage and number of played matches.
The New Jersey Devils beat the New York Rangers (4-3 OT) in the most recent match. The Devils made nine attempts to score more than their rivals. Also, the Rangers’ stars Mika Zibanejad and Artemi Panarin have not scored any goals, whereas Jack Huges finished this match as the first star.
We have seen draws in two of the last four matches with the Devils’ participation. The same outcome is priced with the odds of 4.75 (+375; 15/4) this time.
Carolina Hurricanes vs New Jersey Devils H2H
The Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils (5-4 SO) in the last game. The Hurricanes showed a much stronger offense by making almost two times more attempts to score than the Devils. However, Antti Raanta saved only 85.7% of shots against him, which made his team play overtime.
Lineups and key players
Carolina Hurricanes projected starting lineup:
- Pyotr Kochetkov
- Jacob Slavin
- Calvin de Haan
- Sebastian Aho
- Martin Necas
- Andrei Svechnikov
Martin Necas is the best goalscorer for his team with 17 goals and 21 assists. Also, Necas finished one out of three attempts to score successfully in the last H2H match against the Devils.
New Jersey Devils projected starting lineup:
- Vitek Vanecek
- Dougie Hamilton
- Jonas Siegenthaler
- Jesper Bratt
- Tomas Tatar
- Jack Hughes
Jack Hughes was the first star of the most recent game with two goals and an assist. Jack Hughes is the eighth-best forward and the seventh-best goalscorer in the 2022-23 season.
Prediction and betting tips
The New Jersey Devils have incredible stats after a flawless start to the season. Their current form is good enough to beat most of the teams, but they are not unstoppable as it was previously. They were much stronger than the Rangers in the most recent game but did not show strong offense in the last H2H match against the Hurricanes.
The Carolina Hurricanes had a fantastic streak of 11 victories with four to nil, but their last three losses against the Rangers, Predators, and Blue Jackets disappointed. I can not see an absolutely safe outcome, because both teams were unstable in their last matches. I think that the Asian handicap (+1) on Devils is likely to play out because they are not much weaker than the Hurricanes at the moment.
Betting prediction: Asian handicap (+1) on Devils
Odds: 1.60 (-167 American; 3/5 Fractions)
Share your thoughts!